Sunday, September 16, 2007

LiSP, Revisited

Remember that I ordered a copy of Lisp in Small Pieces from a sales that Amazon.ca was putting on? Like many people, I was informed that the price was due to a mistake, and they were canceling my order. Easy come, easy go. C'est la vie. Fill in your favorite cliché here. I did look at a copy of the book in a library. (I don't qualify for a library card there, so I didn't check the book out.) It looks like a great book. Maybe I'll have to get off my wallet and buy it anyway. While browsing through the book, I realized that I'm attempting to implement too much of Common Lisp initially. For example, the lisp reader needs access to the full-fledged lisp system in order to modify its own settings. It's a chicken-and-egg situation. You need a full lisp system to completely implement the reader, and you need a reader to completely implement the system. The answer, of course, is to implement a very restricted subset and bootstrap your way up. Duh. Anyway, now I think I have a plan to go forward with. I haven't done anything on it yet, though. I'll keep you posted when I do.

No comments: